On November 5, 2015 MIT submitted the following Final Development Plans for the Kendall Square Initiative to the City of Cambridge Planning Board. These documents supplement the proposal MIT filed with the Planning Board on July 27, 2015 in connection with the application for an Article 19 Project Review and Planned Unit Development special permit.
At a preliminary review hearing in September the Planning Board voted unanimously to approve the issuance of a Preliminary Determination on the Development Proposal. In this next stage of the process, MIT has provided a refinement of the Kendall Square proposal that responds to comments and questions raised by Planning Board members during the preliminary review. The documents include a refreshed graphic package and are a supplement to the materials submitted in July.
The Planning Board will review these documents together with the July 2015 materials as a single, comprehensive application for a PUD Special Permit as well as a Project Review Special Permit.
MIT submitted applications in July for two separate Planned Unit Development permits, referred to as “NoMa” (north of Main Street) and “SoMa” (south of Main Street). In addition, the Institute filed two accompanying Project Review Special Permit applications that will address more detailed elements of the proposal including building design, traffic impact, open space, retail strategy, pedestrian experience, and other features of the mixed-use plan. The submittals were developed following seven years of extensive internal and external dialogue about MIT’s proposal. The Planning Board is reviewing all of the applications together.
The second public hearing before the Cambridge Planning Board is tentatively scheduled for January 5, 2016.
Update: The Planning Board of the City of Cambridge will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 7:00 p.m., at the City Hall Annex, 344 Broadway, Second Floor Meeting Room, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Final Development Plan documents
Submitted November 5, 2015
Volume I: Final Development Plan and Responses
- NoMa Project Volume I: Final Development Plan and Responses to Request for Additional Information
- SoMa Project Volume I: Final Development Plan and Responses to Request for Additional Information
Volume II: Technical Studies and Information (NoMa and SoMa)
- SECTION A: MIT Kendall Square - Transportation Impact Study: Planning Board Criteria
- SECTION B: MIT Kendall Square Shadow Studies
- SECTION C: MIT Kendall Square Wind Study
- SECTION D-F includes the following:
- SECTION D: Recommendation from Retail Consultant
- SECTION E: MIT Kendall Square Project LEED Scorecards
- SECTION F: MIT Kendall Square Acoustical Study
Volume III: Graphic Materials – NoMA
Volume III: Graphic Materials – SoMA
- SECTION A: Existing Conditions and Project Overview, Figures A1 - A8
- SECTION B: Site Planning and Open Space
- SECTION C: Ground Floor Activation and Programming, Figures C1 - C17
- SECTION D: Building Concept Design
- SECTION E: Building Plans, Elevation and Sections
- SECTION F: Technical Graphics
- SECTION G: PUD-5 Conceptual Plan, Figures G1 - G3